To install Node.js and Ghost on your mac you’ll need an open terminal window. You can get one by opening spotlight and typing “Terminal”.
- To install Node v4 LTS, visit https://nodejs.org/en/download/ and download the ‘.pkg’ file
- Click on the download to open the installer, this is going to install both node and npm.
- Click through the installer, finally entering your password and clicking ‘install software’.
- Once the installer is complete, go into your open Terminal window and type echo
$PATHto check that
/usr/local/bin/is in your path.
If you get stuck you can watch the whole process in action here.
Install and Run Ghost
- On the downloads page, press the button to download the latest zip file.
- Click on the arrow next to the newly downloaded file, and choose ‘show in finder’.
- In finder, double-click on the downloaded zip file to extract it.
- Next, grab the newly extracted ‘ghost-#.#.#’ folder and drag it onto the tab bar of your open terminal window, this will make a new terminal tab which is open at the correct location.
- In the new terminal tab type
npm install --productionnote the two dashes
- When npm is finished installing, type
npm startto start Ghost in development mode
- In a browser, navigate to 127.0.0.1:2368 to see your newly setup Ghost blog
- Change the url to 127.0.0.1:2368/ghost and create your admin user to login to the Ghost admin.